Google+ Followers

Saturday, 10 August 2013

How we were deported from Lagos to Onitsha(Victims tell their touching stories)

If you have been following the story, on Wednesday, July 24,67 people,mostly Igbos were reportedly deported from Lagos and dumped in Onithsa at 3:20 am .They clai they were arrested by KIA(Kick Against Indisipline)and some say they had been in jail with no contact with their families since December

Below are touching stories of two of these deportees as reported by Vanguard
Rosemary Nathaniel, a native of Ubakala in Umuahia, Abia State,
“I was neither a beggar nor a hawker for the past five years I lived in Lagos. I was working at a T-shirt weaving center at Mile 2, Lagos and I lived with my sister but in January, this year, the KAI officials arrested me and my friend while we were standing and discussing”.

On how she was arrested,
Rosemary stated that she was  just standing somewhere discussing  with one of herfriends and all of a sudden, the KAI officials, accompanied by some policemen double-crossed and dragged them into their waiting vehicle and then off-loaded them at a prison in Alausa area of Lagos
She noted that it was when they were forced into the vehicle that they saw others who were already inside the vehicle, adding that as they moved about, more persons were arrested and dragged into the vehicle until the vehicle was filled to the brim.
She said that up till now, her sister had never known her whereabout since then because the KAI officials did not even ask them where they lived or where they worked  or who are their relations, adding that if she is able to get a transport fare, she would like to go back to her sister in Lagos.
Another deportee who identified himself as Osondu Mbuto from Ohaozara in Ebonyi State and who claimed to be a petty trader in Lagos, said he was arrested by the same KAI officials who were in the company of some policemen, while going to his shop on December 18, last year.
Mbuto who noted that he was picked up forcefully by government officials with armed policemen while trying to go to his shop one morning. added that he had been in the Ikorodu unofficial detention camp without having contact with his family and friends for over eight months before they were bundled to Onitsha that day.